Chicken with 40 Garlic Cloves
· 1 chicken cut into 8 serving pieces (about 4 pounds) *
· Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
· 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
· 40 garlic cloves, peeled
· 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (1 tsp dry rosemary work too)
· 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped (1 tsp dry thyme works too)
· Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a Dutch oven (or cast-iron skillet with a lid) over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Working in batches, brown the chicken 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring for a 1 to coat with pan drippings. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the rosemary, thyme, and lemon zest. Stir to combine.
4. Add the chicken and coat with the garlic and herbs. Cover the pan and roast for 20 minutes. Baste the chicken with the accumulated juices. Continue roasting, uncovered until the chicken is cooked through with an internal temperature of 165 degrees F or about 30 more minutes.
5. Serve with your favorite carb and veggie. Since your oven is “on” consider roasted new potatoes and a veggie like asparagus, broccoli or Brussel sprout for a colorful plate.
* You can also use 4 pounds of your favorite bone-in cuts – breast, thigh, drumstick work best!
Garlic Sauce - Additional Ingredients
· 2 Tbsp. white wine
· ½ cup chicken stock
· 1 Tbsp. butter
1. Remove the chicken and cover loosely with aluminum foil leaving garlic in the pan.
2. Set the pan over medium high heat and mash the garlic with a spoon. Add 2 Tbsp white wine and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add ½ cup chicken stock and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. Whisk in 1 Tbsp of butter to finish. Season with salt and pepper.